Friday, December 30, 2011

Introducing: Bertie

Hey, ladies!

As no one in the group knows everyone, I thought it might be a nice way to start things off by each introducing ourselves.  (Cheesy, yes-- but helpful!)  Nothing big, cumbersome, or daunting; just a five-minute-coffee-break note to offer a bit of insight into who you are, why you are doing this race, etc.  Ideally, if you have a pic handy, that will help us put a name with a face, but it is not required (strongly recommended, but not required! ;).

To get started, here is a pic of me and fellow racer Sarah:

Sarah (left) and Bertie (right)

A little closer than is comfortable (does anyone need that much insight into my pores? ;), but when I was flipping through the photos stored on my computer, this one squarely fits into the category of "before," so it became an easy choice. 

I took this picture MLK weekend in 2010-- two years ago and, most importantly, BEFORE my year-long tour in Afghanistan.  Before the DFAC and processed food and minimal excerise and compound living.  Before crazy stress and few social outlets.  Before I was introduced to PJ's donuts (I don't even like donuts, but let me tell you-- those donuts were *damn* good!  And, when you have little other variances in your day, food becomes a dependable distraction... regrettably).  We used to joke that our one-block compound was the "Kabubble" because there were few opportunities to experience life outside of it.  Now that I am no longer in Afghanistan, the Kabubble more appropriately describes my oversized rump rather than my living situation.  The weight I gained in Afghanistan is one of my most unfortunate hangovers from my year away and is why I am now a determined pansy.

So, in looking at my imperfect-but-perfectly-fine face in the BEFORE, I am determined to make this again a reality in my AFTER.  I am a goal-oriented person who dreads the beginning of a workout regimine-- especially when tackling such an enterprise alone.  That's why I've recruited (cajoled? ;) all of you to join me.  Safety in numbers, friends-- especially numbers as hilarious as ours!  Seriously, the ladies I do know in this group are among the funniest in America and, for those of you whom I am just getting to know, I've heard the same about you, too.  Everyone has come VERY highly recommended!  I started this blog-- and this group-- as a way to laugh through my anguish, share my failures and accomplishments, and lighten the load a bit.  If nothing else, getting into shape will actually be *fun* in your company.

So, I hope we can use this blog as a venue to share news, relay funny stories, come to terms with any stumblings, and celebrate together our accomplishments!  I welcome your friendship, advice, and *laughter*!  In exchange, I hope you kindly accept my large hinderquarter and willingnenss to try again. :)

On New Year's Day, I am going to step begrudgingly on the scale and take out the tape measure.  I am going to record the circumference of my arms, thighs, belly, and dreaded rear.  I am going to record these scary, scary numbers and then put them aside.  I hope when I do this exercise again on April 22nd, I will be able to quanitify my efforts-- and God willing, all of those numbers will have dropped.  Even if they don't, if I'm able to complete gracefully a 10-mile trek at the end of this journey, I'll be feelin' good and it will be well worth it!

So, in a nutshell- that's me.  I'm zany, enthusiastic, and cranky in traffic.  I love 80s music and hate "Praire Home Companion."  One of my favorite sounds is the noise made by an old-fashioned door closing; one of my least favorite is the dreadful crackle of mayonnaise.  I love the quiet of early morning, the smell of pine trees in the first thaw, and the Oxford comma.  I disdain prejudice, hate crimes, and Adam Sandler movies.  Without Bill Gates' help, I cannot spell.

I look forward to meeting (at least virtually!) all of you, too!  I definetely don't want "blogging" to become a job; however, if we each committ to writing at least once a month (more, though, if your heart so desires!), we'll always have a lot to read and the encouragement (or commiseration!) we need to continue!

Happy New Year, friends!  Good luck, MPs!

No comments:

Post a Comment