Saturday, January 7, 2012

Huff-Puff

Good morning, ladies. It's been a relatively good morning because I jogged today. Yup, you read that right. After tossing and turning in bed, not able to sleep in on a Saturday morning and unable to think of other excuses not to get out and exercise, I went for it -- just like Jen, I put on the tight clothes, prayed to see no one that I knew, and started jogging.

I took off and decided to try to get to the Supreme Court. (If I tried to go further that would eventually hit a hill and require running back up that hill. I wasn't tempted.) I made it about a total of 18 blocks round trip. Huffing and puffing all the way.

People say good morning. Normally, I love it when random people say good morning. But there was a conspiracy in my neighborhood against me this morning. People were saying good morning just to test my fitness to see if I'll be able to return the kindness. After a while I simply gave them back a nice huff and puff with a smile.

One of my main goals for this training is to not wreck my knees from running like I did back in 1998. What's the point of losing weight if I can't strut my new svelte body because I broke my knees running 10 miles? So I tried my hardest to jog without landing on my heels. It made my calves feel the jogging much more than they would have otherwise.

I made it home in one piece! My face was red, my calves were jelly, my lungs were about to go on strike, all I wanted to do was spit up mucus, and my pants were still tight. I don't know how long I was running for or how far I ran. All I know is that I will attempt to do this again tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

  1. Go Adri!!! This totally sucks...I felt like crap after my first run, physically. But was so proud that I at least got out there and tried. And so glad to have a goal in April to work towards, however slowly that happens. Three cheers for your 18 blocks! That might be my goal in another few weeks... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: Now another hour or so has passed since I finished that marathon of mine and I can feel my legs tightening. And not in the getting skinning sort of way, but in the you're going to be really sore for the rest of the day sort of way.

    Thanks for the encouragement, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Bertie and Googlemaps, I jogged more than 1 mile. I had no idea! I presumed that I perhaps made it 0.25 miles. Lord knows, the time flew and I thought that I was only running for about 10 minutes. Gotta love objectivity.
    On day 2 of jogging, I also learned that it wasn't that hard the second time around! I tried to job more on the middle of my foot, rather than the ball of my foot. More better. Today is a day off due to a bad back that I blame on my mind thinking that I'm young enough to lift boxes of books with a body that is too old.

    ReplyDelete