Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Whoops...


So when Bird first sent the email asking if I was up for this race, I was initially thinking sure I can do a 10K no problem. That's just a bit over 6 miles! So I promptly responded with a big YES. Well then I re-read the email and realized I said yes to a 10 mile run...whoops. In the end, I decided to just go for it anyway. I definitely need to lose those L.B.s and having a goal has always helped me in the past. Why is it that you turn 30 and suddenly losing weight is the hardest thing ever, but gaining weight is easy as pie (literally).

I've always included jogging as part of the way I work out. Though I have never been a long-distance runner - endurance is still definitely a problem. I did a half-marathon in 2003, where I thought I perfected the run-walk combo. The race went well, but I ended up hurting my hip-flexor and was walking funny for a few weeks after. Hoping that won't happen again, but since I'm car-less in DC and walk everywhere I feel like it should be OK this time.

I'm going to try my best to jog the whole thing, but I'm also not going to hold myself to that if I have to do some walking. For those of you that have an iPhone, I just downloaded some apps that I think will be helpful, so far I like the Couch to 10K app. I'm starting at Week 5 - it's a 12 week program and it has these run/walk combo workouts that I think we'll be really helpful. You have someone in your ear telling you when to run and when to walk, and then you slowly run more and more each week, so hopefully I can stick with it.

I'm hoping to get started with the training soon, but have been fighting a cold or worse for the last month. This thing just won't go away! But I'm hoping I'll be better enough to start this weekend. I live in Capitol Hill so I usually hit the mall for my jogs, maybe I'll see some of you out there as well fighting the cold weather!!

Here's a pic from New Years - spent it at a place called Double D's in St. Louis, and Yes it was as classy as it sounds!








No comments:

Post a Comment